Golf is one of the most popular sports in the world. It can be played by anyone, anywhere, and at any time. But while golfers come from all walks of life, they share one thing in common: their love for golf. As a result, golf dress codes have been around since golf was invented centuries ago.
Of course, there are many different opinions on what constitutes appropriate attire for a day hitting the links. Still, this article will explore where dress codes originated from, how they evolved, and what you should plan on wearing next time you’re off to the fairway.
- What are the dress codes for golfers on the course?
- How to choose appropriate attire when preparing for a round of golf?
- Clubhouse Etiquette
- Golf Attire Tips For Women
- Golf Attire Tips For Men
- Ways to make your outfit stand out from others on the course
- What NOT To Do
- Picking out golf attire
- In Conclusion
- Editor’s Choice
What are the dress codes for golfers on the course?
Golfers have been debating dress codes since the sport was invented centuries ago. Golfing attire is not standardized, so golfers can wear whatever they would like while playing a round of golf (This, of course, is not referring to tournament play). Some people even mix in more casual outfits with traditional golf gear! In 1891, golf professional John Shippen founded a group called The Links that followed a strict dress code. The Links required golfers to wear knickers and argyle socks, with either an all-white or all-black ensemble.
In today’s world, the typical dress code you would see for a man playing golf would probably be something similar to slacks and a collared shirt. However, when it comes to golf attire on the course for women, there is much more variety available in shorts and a golf shirt.
Lastly, in regards to golf dress codes. Dress codes for golfers vary from country to country and tournament to tournament. There can even be individualized dress codes for the course being played. There is no one specific dress code for golfers.
How to choose appropriate attire when preparing for a round of golf?
We like to use the rule of thumb that it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. But, again, we suggest looking on the Golf Course websites, as specific courses often provide guidelines to follow.
While saying we suggest being overdressed, we also understand that this is a game and you need to feel comfortable in your clothes to play. So this is where a delicate balance comes in hand and usually leaves men playing in slack and a nice Polo shirt. While at the same time, it is not uncommon to see women golfers playing in either nice shorts or a skirt and a woman’s Polo T-shirt.
So the two things we always recommend following are feeling good in your clothes so that you can follow code and be comfortable enough to play the game.
Download this ebook to improve your golf game today..
Proper etiquette around the clubhouse before and after your game is also a facet of golf that is always worth mentioning.
It’s not uncommon for men to be in slacks and dress shirts while women are often dressed nicely, either wearing dresses or nice pants suits with heels.
And please keep your baggy attire and ball caps off the course!
Golf Attire Tips For Women
– Casual golf attire is excellent for your daily game
– Dressy golf attire will keep you more comfortable and focused on the course
– Shorts are always a good idea, as well as skirts (even in winter)
Golf Attire Tips For Men
-A collared shirt with slacks or khakis is perfect casual golf attire.
– If you’re looking to dress up a little bit, wear black pants instead of khaki or navy blue if it’s not too hot out!
– Always have at least one pair of dress shoes and some nice socks handy just in case!
– Golfers often change into long pants when they start getting too uncomfortable from all that sun exposure.
Undoubtedly some don’t care about golf dress codes and don’t follow any particular dress code while playing. If you’re one of these people, I applaud your rebellious spirit; be as respectful as possible while on the course.
Ways to make your outfit stand out from others on the course
- Wear a golf shirt with your company logo on it to show off what you do.
- Use your golf attire as an opportunity to promote something important to you, like the environment or cancer awareness!
- Pick up some custom headwear from one of our vendors and get ready for everyone else who is jealous of all the attention you’re going to be getting from this new style addition!
What NOT To Do
- Wear anything with the word “Golfer” on it.
- Don’t wear a hat, even if you’re bald (unless in particular circumstances).
- Avoid wearing clothes that are too bright or flashy; keep your outfit conservative and reserved for this sport.
Picking out golf attire
The first thing to consider is what type, of course, you will be playing at – specific clothing ranges may not work well depending on where you’re going to play! For example, if I’m on a back nine because my ball landed in a water hazard, I might want something more durable than silk pants from all those brushstrokes against rocks while walking through rough areas.
Fit is also essential when picking out outfits, and golf is no exception – your pants need to fit perfectly around the waist, have a little give in the butt (not too tight!), do not put any pressure on your crotch area by being too tight or having them ride up uncomfortably.
When picking out shirts for golfing, make sure they’re lightweight, so you don’t overheat.
For footwear, golf shoes are the best option – they have more grip and protection for your feet than regular sneakers or tennis shoes, so you don’t slip on wet grass while walking down fairways. Golfers also wear socks to protect their legs from getting too hot in leather soles with no air circulation.
When it comes to golf attire, there are many different options available. It is important to remember the golf dress code and that you want to respect the sport with your clothing and at the same time be comfortable enough to play the game.
Golf Lessons: What You Need To Know
Golfers and Weight Lifting: Driving the Ball Further
The Most Commonly Used Golf Terms: Understanding the Lingo
Download this ebook to improve your golf game today..